Monday 7 May 2012

Mouths of babes





Photo taken back in April on our way back from Titus' in Dumfries & Galloway.


Not much to blog just now... reading (finished Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's "Half of a Yellow Sun" - it was brilliant), writing (a long, very weird poem that no-one will ever want to read most likely - not so brilliant...), rejigging my old online poems (here) and videos (here) so I don't have to nag tech support for help when they need changing, doing family stuff, home stuff. I did go to a poetry magazine launch yesterday (shock, horror!) but I'll write more about that when I can link to the new issue on their website (should be soon).

In the meantime h and I were talking about poetry this morning (partly because of the launch yesterday, partly because they've been reading lots of poems at school of late). She was quite surprised when I told her that most of the poems read at yesterday's event didn't rhyme (mine included). "Well, yes," she said authoritatively, "it is harder to make them rhyme - you've got to think of the right words." Well, it made me laugh anyway. Especially considering my last, very long, very rhyming poem (here). It's about an asylum... which seems so fitting at times.

More soon.

p.s. Tim Minchin on Radio 4's "Desert Island Discs" here.


5 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love it! Out of the mouths of babes indeed!

The Bug said...

Well, it IS harder to write a GOOD rhyming poem, that's true (shut up Peadar!). But it's pretty darn easy to write a bad one. I should know!

Rachel Fox said...

It's pretty easy to write any kind of bad poem!
x

Rachel Fenton said...

I will want to read your poem - weird is always good - even when it doesn't rhyme.

Intrigued about the launch...

I enjoyed Half of a Yellow Sun, too - I've got all her stuff now.

Rachel Fox said...

OK - amendment.. "that no-one but Rachel Fenton will ever want to read most likely..."

x